Columbia County was formed in 1786 out of Albany County. In 1799, the southern boundary of Columbia County was modified to include the portion of Livingston Manor located in Dutchess County.
The county seat was originally at Claverack, but moved to Hudson in 1805, where it is today.
Columbia County is in the northern part of the Hudson River Valley, about 125 miles north of New York city and 35 miles south-east of Albany. It is 36 miles from North to South, and 18 miles from East to West. It contains 688 square miles
Columbia County is bounded by the following counties:
Original settlement was by the Dutch near Kinderhook, in the north-west corner of the county, followed by a Palatine German settlement at Germantown (then East Kamp) in the southwest corner of the county. The eastern border was settled in the 1750's by New Englanders from Massachusetts and Connecticut. In the 1780's a group of New England Quakers from Nantucket and surrounding areas created the city of Hudson.
The original land disbursement in Columbia County was in the form of Patents:
|Van Hoesen (Hudson)||1662||1667||Jan Frans van Hoesen|
|Major Abraham Staats (Stockport)||200||1667||Major Abraham Statts|
|Major Abraham Staats (Stockport)||400||1685||Major Abraham Statts|
|Flodder/Baker (Kinderhook)||1667||1667||Jacob Jansen Flodder|
Capt. John Baker
|Wessels/Teunissen (Kinderhook)||Dirck Wessels|
|Lower Manor (Claverack)||700,000 (Including remainder of Manor)||1649||1685||Killian van Rensselaer|
|Livingston Manor||160,240||1684||1686||Robert Livingston|
|de Bruyn (Kinderhook)||1668||1686||Jan Hendrick de Bruyn|
|Powell Tract (Stuyvesant)|
|Burghart/van Schaack (between Kinderhook and Claverack)||4,000||Conradt Burghardt|
Elias van Schaack
|van Alen/van Schaack (Kinderhook)||1703||Lawrence van Scaack|
Lawrence van Alen
|(East of Kinderhook Creek)||6,000||1731||Burgar Huyck, et. al.|
|Mawighanunk Patent (Northeast of Kinderhook)||4,380||1743||Stephen Bayard,|
Cornelius van Schaick,
John Baptiste van Rensselaer,
Johannes van Deusen,
|(East of Kinderhook Creek)||1668||Peter van Alen|
|Gore (between Claverack and Livingston Manors) originally part of Claverack Manor||10,152||1767||Abraham Lott, et. al.|
|On Kinderhook Creek||700||1788||John van Ness|
|Canaan||1791||Given to settlers in actual possession|
|Lands between Canaan to the north, Claverack to the south, Canaan to the East and Kinderhook to the west||1793||Given to settlers in actual possession|
The original towns of Columbia County were Canaan, Claverack, Germantown, Hillsdale, Hudson City, Kinderhook, and Livingston.
|East Kamp||1709||Livingston Manor|
|Kings District||1772||Original Town|
|Germantown||1775||East Kamp (town renamed)|
|Columbia County Formed 1786|
|Ancram||1814||Gallatin (town renamed)|
|Taghkanic||1814||Granger (town renamed)|
|Austerlitz||1818||Chatham, Hillsdale, Canaan|
|Ghent||1818||Chatham, Claverack, Kinderhook|
|Stockport||1833||Hudson, Ghent, Stuyvesant|
At this time we have no volunteersIf you have any books or CDs on this county and will volunteer to do lookups, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please follow these guidelines when requesting a look-up.
A query page has been developed for the Columbia County On-Line Historical Archives. Since it would be counter-productive to have two query pages, we'll be referring everyone to that page. You may enter queries through the New York Query page as well.
Thanks are due to BerkshireNet for
storing this site.
Page Design by Michael D. Bathrick